It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary . . .



Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Storms. . .


Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass

it's about learning to dance in the rain.

While I was taking ENG 2010 our instructor encouraged us to write as if we would be published someday. Glancing over my blog, I noticed the one and only Erin had been published. I was quiet excited to see that Erin had been published, so I glanced because the curiosity got the better of me. I am grateful I did.

Erin's parable is so fitting for my life right now, let me explain why. I know I haven't blogged for quite awhile and with good reason. Once again, in 7 days, I am retaking my RN Boards. This journey at times has felt like a HUGE STORM. I love Erin’s description of the storm, how it pounded on her windshield, the fear she felt, and the trust she had in her husband to guide her out of harm’s way. I love the part about her husband and his part in this parable relates to my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ by going to them for help and answers.

I feel this parable made much more sense when Annette Lyon wrote about turning back and facing the danger all over again. Although I am stuck in the middle of huge storm, and not sure if moving forward is the safest thing to do, there have been many moments I have wanted to postpone and reschedule the test. I don’t want to turn around and go through some of those dangers again. I have already done that. So at this very moment I am trusting in my Heavenly Father. He has guided my path up until now. The storms have been set backs that have allowed me to get to know my Savior and Heavenly Father more intimately.

Just as Erin trusted Christian to guide her out of the storm,(because he could see the whole picture)I am trusting in a loving Heavenly Father to guide me through the rest of the preparation so that I can fulfill my dream and desire to have the RN behind my name.

Erin, thank you so much for your insight. I am so glad I glanced for a moment--this is what I needed in my final week of preparation. Thank you sooooo much!

7 comments:

Jan said...

That is awesome that you were able to find true inspiration from such great women. I hope all is going well with you Kim. :)

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Hang on! You will get through it. Ya know I'm thinkin' of ya!

Tinabean said...

That is a great story.
I hope that everything goes well for you & you don't have to much stress.
Good Luck!

Erin said...

I am so glad this helped you! Good luck in the preparations for your test. (My husband just took his huge EPPP test to become a licensed psychologist last week. He felt the same way you do. We won't find out for three weeks how he did, but we have faith.) Keep us posted!!

Cynthia said...

It IS scary to put yourself and your dream out there like that. I've got a test I've been avoiding too and it would allow me to put ASLA and a lot more credibility behind my name too. It's SO frightening.

It took my friends' Mom several YEARS to pass the RN tests. She went back faithfully every year and she DID pass. I'm sure you'll get there quicker but so long as you are persistent, you WILL get there.

This quote from Calvin Coolidge is my all time favorite:

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race”

kado! said...

Wishing you LOTS of luck and concentration for your test you are taking!

we love cake!!! said...

Sweet Kim. You know the metaphor "storm" is near and dear to my heart. Thank you for posting such uplifting blogs. Good Luck in your preparations.I know you'll get through your "storm" soon. Love ya!!!