It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary . . .



Tuesday, January 11, 2011

119 ~ GCBC The Transforming Power of Faith and Character

Once again, I am feeling like a slacker. I have let 2 weeks go by without a GCBC post. I'm not saying I haven't read the talks, or felt like writing, it's just I haven't known how to put into words my thoughts and feelings. Now that I have few minutes, I would like to try and share with you my feels and some of the insight and lessons learned from my recent GCBC study.

I love how Elder Scott shares with us that we have the "power" to choose to have and exercises faith. And then as we exercises that faith we build character. I am thankful for the constant reminder as I go through my blog, on a daily basis, of what Elder Scott said:

"We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become each day."

Some days seem overwhelming! Yet somehow I seem to get through those tougher than normal days. Often times I look back and ask myself "how did I make it through?" But then when I hear things like this

"Faith in the power of obedience to the commandments of God will forge strength of character available to you in times of urgent need. Such character is not developed in moments of great challenge or temptation. That is when it is intended to be used. Your exercise of faith in true principles builds character; fortified character expands your capacity to exercise more faith."

Then I truly get that all of my hard work in some way has paid off. Plus, I never thought in a million years that having the faith to follow the "simple" principles of the gospel would help me to develop or become the woman I am today. As I look back on the most recent and difficult trials of my life I now see that as I was diligent and obedient my faith would be the rock for those challenges.
What a simple and easy concept! But why did I not see it? Then as I read these 4 words
  • Trust
  • Obedience
  • Sensitivity
  • Patience

All these words I am familiar with because most of them are principles that I have difficulty with in some way or another. But now to see them with different eyes and understanding as "empowering principles" I am better equipped to exercise my faith. I love this that Elder Scott shared:

"As you walk to the boundary of your understanding into the twilight of uncertainty, exercising faith, you will be led to find solutions you would not obtain otherwise. With even your strongest faith, God will not always reward you immediately according to your desires. Rather, God will respond with what in His eternal plan is best for you, when it will yield the greatest advantage. Be thankful that sometimes God lets you struggle for a long time before that answer comes. That causes your faith to increase and your character to grow."

I will never forget the first semester I went back to school. I took Microbiology. Now let me remind you, I had been out of school for 18 years, I was in what you would call the "dumb" math, and the last bit of biology I had was plant biology. As I struggled through this class, my faith and trust in the Lord increased. Why? It was the only way I stuck it out. I knew I was to do this, go to school to become a nurse, and the only thing I could do is have the faith that it would all turn out. Well, things did turn out and I received the most rewarding grade of my college career--thus far--a C+! Many would be freaking out! Not me! I was elated! I look back on that experience and as I exercised my faith, I changed for the better. So I guess you could say my character grew. With that experience and many others like it, the struggles have continued--some have lasted longer than I would like--but my faith and now trust in my Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ has deepened in an unexplainable way.

I am so grateful for every trial, every challenge, every struggle that I have faced. Some days I am definitely more grateful than others, but as I have been humbled, I have learned some of the greatest lessons of my life. I am and will ever be grateful for Gordon's heart attack. Why? Because of that one experience I have gained some of the most greatest and rewarding experiences of my life. I have also been able to develop a greater understanding of the atonement and the love Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have for me.

4 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I haven't gotten to the "thankful for challenges part" very well. I don't like tough stuff and hard things.

You are amazing and inspiring.
Love ya tons!

tammy said...

Love this. I'm going to bookmark Elder Scott's message to share in Ward Council or Presidency Meeting sometime. Thanks!

Karen Mello Burton said...

You are one fine ambassador for truth! Thanks for your posts.

Da Bergs said...

Okay, tell me more about the GCBC, is it really a book club??? I loveed reading this post! I know trials make us stronger... but I don't know that I am HONESTLY grateful for trials....