It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary . . .



Sunday, October 2, 2011

General Conference Meme


General Conference Highlights, October 2011
I have been fueled, taught and edified with the Spirit of truth over the past couple of days.  I began this past weekend with many concerns and questions, all of them touched upon in one way or another--yet none of them completely answered.  It will be alright.  I will read and reread the messages and as I consider the counsel given from my general church leaders I will learn what it is I need to learn a piece at a time.  Hopefully,  I will be humble and teachable enough to hear the whisperings of the spirit and then take the needed action to do the will will of the Lord.  As always I am in awe at how the Lord knows me and each one of us individually and will answer the concerns of hearts a piece at a time. 
1. Who were your three favorite speakers?
President Uchdorft--General Women's and Saturday Morning Session
Elder Hales
Elder Cook
2. Which talk spoke to you the most?
Elder Cook:
"How can I possibly do this?"

"Believe in God."

"Why is it such a challenge to always look up?"

"It is better to look up."

3. What was your favorite Hymn and why did it move you? 
Consider the Lilies--One year for Christmas we received the Mormon Tabernacle Choirs Album--"Love At Home."  Consider the Lilies is one of the songs and I have always loved how that particular song has made me feel.  It wasn't until today, that I began to understand the depth and meaning of this beautiful song.  As I watched the choir sing, and intently listened to words I then began to understand the love my Heavenly Father has for me and his children. 
4. Which speaker was the best dressed? (Come on, we can have a little fun.)

I have to be honest.  They were all dressed nicely and I did look at the ties and thought there were some pretty nice looking ties, but I could not give you an answer for this one.  Sorry.

5. Were there any topics that you felt like were repeated often? Any conference “themes”?

Book of Mormon and the truthfulness of the book
Missionaries
Trial/Challenges/Adversity
Satan's Power
Time/Priorities
Personal Revelation
Happiness
Atonement
Prayer

6. Share a few of your favorite quotes from any of the talks (paraphrasing is fine).

Sister Dalton:  "Father's, You are your daughters HERO!"
Sister Thompson:  "Have ye inquired of the Lord?"
President Packard:  "What is the single most important thing I have gained from reading the Book of Mormon?"  and "Who do [I] lean on when my testimony is wavering or not strong?"
President Uchdorft:  "The most powerful being on the earth is the father of my spirit . . .He wants me to know my potential and love He has for me."
Elder Cook:  "It is better to look up."
Elder Ardern:  "Let us be as quick to kneel as we are to text." 
"We need to become the master managers of our time."
"Time is never for sale."
"Time flies on the wings of lightening."
Elder Holland (Priesthood Session):  "The Lord is looking for missionaries who will not bind their tongues but speak the word of God."
"The game is on and victory is at stake!"
President Eyring (PS):  "The Lord calls the weak and simple."
President Eyring:  "The Book of Mormon--Lifts, Guides and Embolds"
Elder Hales:  "What does it mean to 'wait upon the Lord?'"
Elder Bennett:  "The longer we take for corrected actions, the longer it takes to return to the desired course."
Elder Corish:  "Just like medicine . . .Prayer only works as directed."

7. Name something(s) that made you smile or laugh during conference.
The facial expression of Elder Scott as he talked about his wife Janeen.  President Monson's way of look from side to side.  When Kelsey was listening to the Prophet and didn't know that's who it was.

8. Was there any evidence that your children paid attention?
After Sunday morning session when Kelsey's eyes opened Gordon asked her if she listened to the prophet and she said "no" but said, "I loved the talk about the $5.00."  We all laughed with Hailey and Shane saying "that was the prophet."  hehehehehe
9. What doctrine did you learn as you listened to the choir(s) sing?
"I Need Thee Every Hour"  I need the Lord and He is always there for me, I just have to get on my knees and call upon his name.
10. Did the music enhance your General Conference experience? How?

Yes.  For me, music helps my heart to soften and I feel my heart becomes more perceptive through the words and sounds only music can bring to a meeting.

11. What are some of your post-conference goals?
Increase my personal prayer (actually to start praying again)
Read the Book of Mormon (complete the Virtue project in my Personal Progress)
Learn more about the Spirit of Elijah

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Yay, Kim. Thanks for doing this. It was a great conference. I need to go listen to Elder Holland's talk now.