It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary . . .



Friday, October 14, 2011

Taco Soup = Comfort

A few  days ago, while Gordon and I were grocery shopping, I received a call from 
Kelsey: "Mommy, I have a request." 
Mom:  "and what  might that request be?"
Kelsey:  "When I come home again will you make me the BIGGEST pot of taco soup so I can take it back to school with me?" 
Mom:  "I might be able to work something out."
Kelsey:  R E A L L Y!?!?!?!?
Mom:  "Yeah,  that's what we are planning on having for dinner tonight."
Kelsey:  "SHUT-UP!--REALLY?"
Mom:  "Yes, we are having taco soup for dinner and it sounds like you are missing some good home cooking."
Kelsey:  "Yes, I am! :)"  
Mom:   "I would love to make you some."
Kelsey:  "Thanks, Mommy--I Love You."

That was not the end of our conversation but as I have pondered how a simple pot of taco soup can bring comfort and peace to a young, starving college student,  I wonder what can bring comfort and  peace to a not so young, not quite starving mother of four. 
There are many things that I have found that bring me much comfort when I am stressed, sad or upset
diet pepsi,
chocolate cinnamon bears,
 hugs and kisses from my family,
 but then it hit.  The things that can bring me as much comfort and peace as a warm bowl of taco soup is not the physical or material things of life--it is making time to talk with a loving Heavenly Father.  
Lately, I have not been doing so well with talking to Heavenly Father.  As I have pondered where to find that comfort and peace, that only a hot bowl of taco soup can bring,  I was reminded by my beautiful daughter that calling home and talking with a loving Heavenly Father is the only way to have the comfort and peace that is desired. 
What brings you the greatest amount of comfort and peace?

1 comment:

tammy said...

Mmm...I love taco soup! I wish I could find chocolate cinnamon bears here. Instead I have to stick a cinnamon bear in my mouth with some chocolate chips.

Believe it or not, tuna casserole is a comfort food for me because my mom always made it.

Hope you're doing okay.