It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary . . .



Friday, May 13, 2011

Wish I Could Have Been at Women’s Conference . . . .

Wish I could have been in the Marriott Center when Elder Bednar and Sister Julie Beck spoke on Friday, April 29, 2011 at this past Women's Conference. I was planning to go with my sister, Amy, but as life happens I got a new job and felt saddened when I could no longer attend.


 

I have been waiting patiently to hear what is on the mind of the Lord to us, his daughters. As I heard the words and thoughts of Elder Bednar and Sister Beck I was overcome with emotion with the things I needed to hear and received many answers to my questions and concerns.


 

You can read excerpts from their talks :here: and :here: Recently, in sacrament meeting, I wrote down some questions and thoughts that were weighing heavily on my mind.

1. Why am I here at church when all I do is "go through the motions?"

2. Am I looking through blinders?

3. Are the blinders I am looking through causing "spiritual blindness?"

As I read and listened to what bit of the talks I have, my heart was touched especially when Elder Bednar spoke.

"He then compared the spiritual pattern he had been describing to drip or trickle irrigation, in which water is applied in a more focused and frequent way than with other methods, providing "a high moisture level in the soil wherein plants can flourish," said Elder Bednar.

"In like manner, if you and I are focused and frequent in receiving consistent drops of spiritual nourishment, then gospel roots can sink deep into our soul, can become firmly established and grounded, and can produce extraordinary and delicious fruit," he said.

The spiritual pattern of small and simple things bringing forth great things produces firmness and steadfastness, deepening devotion, and more complete conversion to the Lord Jesus Christ and His gospel, Elder Bednar explained.

"As you and I become increasingly steadfast and immovable, we are less prone to zealous and exaggerated spurts of spirituality followed by extended periods of slackness.

"A spiritual 'spurter' is one who is given to short bursts of spectacular effort followed by frequent and lengthy periods of rest," he said. While "a big spurt may appear to be impressive in the short run, … steadiness in small things over time is far more effective [and] far less dangerous and produces far better results."

The last paragraph hit the hardest. At this point in my life, I am as Elder Bednar describes it a "spiritual spurter." I look back on the days when I felt I had the "time" for the "daily or essential" things that help keep our roots deep and grounded, but lately and mean a long time lately, I have been slacking and I can feel it!

As I reflected back to Sister Beck's message there were a few things that stood out to me.

1. "Am I aligned with the Lord's vision of me and what He needs me to become?

2. What is the good part that would not be taken from them? " . . .the Lord invites [us] to be official participants in the work of discipleship-- . . .not to be bystanders but to be actively involved."

3. Charity, . . is more than a feeling of benevolence, and it's more than virtuous living. It is more than niceness. It is living as Christ lived, and it is what we are to become.

4. "Charity Never Faileth-- . . .This motto was distilled by women who had been taught by Joseph Smith and understood the purpose of Relief Society. Joseph taught them about becoming holy and using this organization to learn how to become like the Savior."
"Becoming like the Savior happens when our faith in Him allows us to "do hard things" and overcome opposition. "We have learned that trials can be endured and overcome only through strong faith—faith in the Savior, Jesus Christ and His atoning power and His capacity to heal and strengthen us, faith in the Father's plan and His mission and His ability to fulfill every promise," she said. While without faith we become fearful, distracted, lost, and depressed, the Lord can use faith to "heal and strengthen us," she said. And like the blind men in Matthew 9, we too can ask the Lord to have mercy on us, she said.
"We will have happy days and difficult days," Sister Beck said. "He can heal us from faults and failings, and He can change us. I have learned from studying the Relief Society history that faith is possible, and with the strength of the Holy Ghost and the companionship of that faith we become stronger, and our difficulties become our opportunities and our blessings."
5. "Prepare yourselves. . . .Prepare to receive the Lord's message for you. Go to the temple. Pray. Live to become what the Lord would have [you] become."


 

Life is hard. I am grateful to inspired leaders who are guided, listen and then act upon those things the Lord is telling them to do. I do wish I could have been in that room hearing every word spoken. I knew at the time I "needed" to be there, but circumstances wouldn't allow it to happen once again. I long for the days when I can be at the Saviors feet feasting upon every word. But I have alot of work ahead me, right here and right now. I can feast, I just need to open up the book and read. I need to get on my knees and pray. I need to be "strong and immovable" and then I need to "BE and ACT" upon those teachings.


 


 

Hopefully next year circumstances will allow me to attend.

FYI: This is a REPOST! I woke up this morning to this post being deleted from my dashboard. I do not know how, but it was completely gone. Good thing my FB account saves this too. Sorry to those who have already read it. If any one else has experienced this problem will you let me know.

3 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

You, my dear friend, are NOT a spiritual sprurter.
You live your testimony every. single. minute!

I'm sorry you didn't get to go. Work.......grrr!

Karen Mello Burton said...

Sorry you missed it.

Da Bergs said...

THANK YOU FOR posting this!!! I am going to go read the whole thing!!!