It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary . . .



Monday, December 13, 2010

105 ~ GCBC: Faith--the Choice Is Yours

I am couple of weeks behind with my General Conference Book Club, but the experience I had while writing Brendon this morning inspired me to share with you my feelings of faith. For those of you who read yesterday's post bear with me because it may be a repeat, but when I received my email from Brendon today, I had and overwhelming impression that the letter I sent to him needed be shared with all of you.

Good Morning!

Well life has changed, hopefully for only a short time. Dad finished up his student teaching and is no longer a "full-time" student. The world would consider him "unemployed," but with how everything has been going, I know the Lord will bless us to find a job and it will be where he needs to be. As I think upon and ponder these implications, of being unemployed, I know that new dramas will once again begin and then we will start all over with different stresses when he gets a "new" job. With all of that said, I feel that today will be bring about new and challenging adventures. You will somehow be affected by the transfers that take place today. My thoughts are with you, but as these new adventures begin I know that you will be blessed and given the strength to grow. I know you love your companion and have learned alot from him, but I am feeling this morning, you have learned from him what the Lord wanted and it's time to move on. As I was reading one of the conference talks my thoughts were taken to you and I feel impressed to share with my testimony of the principle of faith.

Yesterday in RS we learned from the Gospel Principles book about the gifts of the spirit in Doctrine and Covenants 46:8-26. I love this section of the D&C and yesterday I blogged about the experience I had. Here is what I wrote

"I love aha moments! Our lesson in RS was about Gifts of the Spirit. As I sat in class listening to the lesson, the spirit was there and the spirit was strong. As we discussed the different gifts of the spirit, found in Doctrine and Covenants 46:8-26. My mind was enlightened and new insight was given to each of these gifts listed, but my personal understanding increased in regards to The Gift of Healing.

Yesterday while at work, I had and experience where the The Gift of Healing took place. A patient of mine, was requesting a priesthood blessing. As the clerk and I had arranged it, the clerk, Christina who is not a member was curious as to what takes place when we call any "LDS Elders" to administer a blessing. At that point, I said to Christina, "would you like to see what happens?" With an innocent smile, she said "yes". As we entered the room, I explained to my patient what Christina's request was and he gave us permission to stay. The blessing was given. We all went on our way and later on I was able to ask her if she had any questions. She didn't have any, but she did mention one thing. That one thing that she mentioned was the spirit. She described the feeling as if God himself was there. Oh, how grateful I am for that moment. My day was pretty stressful and I will have to agree with Christina, the spirit was strong and through that spirit the The Gift of Healing took place.

I know and understand that some have been given The Gift of Healing just like Christ, but others have chosen certain professions which pertain to The Gift of Healing. Personally, I had never thought of The Gift of Healing in any other way than through or by the power of the priesthood. But today, as I was quietly whispered too, I gained a greater understanding of my role in His plan and was reassured that my career path as nurse is a special gift of healing and a precious gift from my Heavenly Father."


Brendon, I love the moments when you know you are being talked to and then the Holy Ghost bears witness of that truth. Then today as I read Faith--The Choice Is Yours I remember the days when faith is all I had, even when the odds were against me. I knew without a doubt that Heavenly Father would deliver His promises. I just didn't know how or in what way, but He has never let me down. Brendon, continue to trust the Lord. Seek to have the gift of faith. Seek to have the gifts that are yours, read your patriachal blessing and ask Heavenly Father to assist you in developing those gifts and then use them. You have been blessed with many, many gifts and sometimes I feel we are so afraid of failure that we don't even try and then we forget we even have those gifts that have been promised to us. Like my story, I had never thought that of the gift of healing as a profession of nursing, but through the spirit was told that I do have the gift of healing.

The gifts I see you in are the gifts of service, happiness and joy, communication, strength, love, kindness, wisdom and understanding, and many many more. You have always brought a smile to my lips and joy to my life. Continue to serve. I know the next couple of weeks may seem hard, but just know that we are praying for you and the work you are doing. Be strong! Know that when you don't feel you are strong get on your knees and ask Heavenly Father to hug you.

Oh yeah, I had a dream on Saturday Night. It was about you. I felt your presence and heard your voice. "Mom, it's me. It's Brendon!" We talked. I don't remember anything else, but I know that dreams are ways the Lord helps us understand. Guess what?! I W I L L get to talk to you and hear your voice. I need that! I just wish I could be wrapped in those strong arms of yours and held. It really won't be that long, and I can wait, because what you are doing is so more important and we have the rest of eternity ;)

Just know I am with you and praying for you. I love you

Pray--Study--Be Obedient--Testify and get down on your knees and pray some more!

Have a great week,
I love you
Momma

I am grateful for the reminder that "faith is a choice." Also that "faith . . .must be sought after and developed. . . .we are responsible for our own faith. We are also responsible for our lack of faith. The choice is [ours]yours." As I put faith in my feelings I wasn't right. Brendon did not loose his compainion or change his area. He is excited for that. The one thing that did happen, he did have a rough battle with the stomach flu. "By moving forward into the unknown, armed only with hope and desire, we show evidence of our faith and our devotion to the Lord." Brendon is showing me the importance of faith.

2 comments:

LKP said...

great letter, kim!
i especially love your words here:

"...and sometimes I feel we are so afraid of failure that we don't even try and then we forget we even have those gifts that have been promised to us."

so, so true! thanks for sharing that insight and understanding. :)
::hugs::

Kim said...

Keely,

You're welcome! Good to see you.
Miss you :)