It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary . . .



Sunday, December 26, 2010

114 ~ GCBC--Never Leave Him

Sometime at 0 dark thirty in the morning I was awake and lying in bed thinking of the lesson I have to give in Relief Society today. This lesson has been prepared for about 3 weeks and needed to reviewed. But instead, the spirit whispered to me that I needed to read this weeks
General Conference Book Club
address by
Elder Andersen--Never Leave Him.

I fought the whisperings and struggled to go back to sleep. As I tossed and turned and turned and tossed, I gave in realizing there was no hope that I would get the desired shut eye that I so desperately wanted.

As I began listening and reading this Conference address I began to understand "why" Heavenly Father needed me to read this talk. This talk didn't stand out in any particular way to me during conference so it must not apply to me. But I as read it I saw through different eyes how it applies to me in my life. As I read the words "offended, ashamed and choose" I started to see through those eyes something I never noticed before. These are words I heard many, many times before but as I started looking at them individually and putting the word "choose" in front those words took on new meaning.
I love how Elder Anderson describes the many different ways of how we "choose" to become "offended." And then once we are "offended" we become "weakened" to the spirit so that the "adversary has the opportunity to steal our spiritual promises."
What "spiritual promises" was Elder Andersen referring too? As I continued to read the heading "Choose Not to be Ashamed" a new light clicked and the words became ever so clear. Elder Anderson talks about Lehi's dream. He is describing the "tree, fruit, filling the soul with excededingly great joy, spacious building, exceedingly fine dress, mocking, pointing fingers and scorning." As I came to this part my emotions were strong. "I personally have partaken of the fruit and it has filled me with great joy." But there are days that are so hard. There are days I don't do everything I know I should because I am lazy, I don't have time, or I just push it aside and say "later." That is the "pride and wisdom of the world." This part pierced a nail through my heart. I had never thought of my own weakness as pride, but today I have learned a valuable lesson. I guess this part necessarily doesn't mean I am scorning or mocking others, but what I am doing is. . . I am flat out scorning and mocking the Savior by my laziness. WOW!!! What a moment of truth. But then I felt hope.

"I promise you, as you choose not to be offended or ashamed, you will feel His love and approval. You will know that you are becoming more like Him."

"Perfection does not come in this life, but we exercise faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and keep our covenants. President Monson has promised, “Your testimony, when constantly nourished, will keep you safe.” We push our spiritual roots deep, feasting daily on the words of Christ in the scriptures. We trust in the words of living prophets, placed before us to show us the way. We pray and pray and listen to the quiet voice of the Holy Ghost that leads us along and speaks peace to our soul. Whatever challenges arise, we never, never leave Him."

I am grateful I don't have to be perfect. I just have to keep trying and doing my best by doing my part (praying, reading scriptures, repenting, forgiving--the list could go on and on) and have the faith to believe, hope and endure, but most of all
“Never Leave Him.”

5 comments:

tammy said...

I worked for a really wise man once who taught me that we choose to let people make us mad or offend. Best lesson I ever learned at that job.

Karen Mello Burton said...

I always need to improve in praying, reading, forgiving, and repenting. Great reminder. Thanks!

we love cake!!! said...

WOW KIM! THIS POST IS BEAUTIFUL! THANKS FOR SHARING SUCH WONDERFUL THOUGHTS. YOU FED MY SOUL TODAY!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I would love to be able to sit in on your RS lessons. You are amazing.

Stephanie said...

I love all your insights and love what a great GCBC-er you are! :)