This time of year is always bitter-sweet, I always start decorating by the middle of November in anticipation of the Holiday season. But it never fails, my excitment of the upcoming season is usually clouded over by the commericalism and expections of our young ones.
What we have done to counteract the commercialism, is started traditions of our own. In years past we start out each Christmas Season by attending
The Forgotten Carols
Due to scheduling conflicts we were unable to attend The Forgotten Carols. There is a void. I know the kids feel it. You may be wondering what relevance a play may have to feelings associated with the Holiday Season. The Forgotten Carols reminds me of what the Christmas season is truly about. It gives me perspective and reminds me that Christ came to earth, that He died and most of all that we can Live again.
As I have been looking for things to feel this void, I know that many may be feeling a void in their life right now. For some of you, that void is simply not going to a play, for some it may be feelings of inadequacy because you feel you can not give your children everything they want, for others it may be due to illness, and for some it may be issues within your own personal lives (a rebellious child or even divorce). Whatever the reason, Let Him In. Our Lord and Savior came to this earth to help us through these trials. Christ wants our hearts to be turned to Him and open to His will. What a perfect way to celebrate this Holiday Season by Honoring our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and letting go of what the World thinks is important by embracing the reason Christ came to earth. All Christ wants from us is to make room for Him and Let Him In.
How do you Let Christ In through your traditions? What are some of your family traditions?

8 comments:
I looked everywhere for this video yesterday-- except here. I had wanted to show it to my YW last night at our Christmas party!
Can I steal it and put it on my blog for one of my bucket fillers? Thanks.
That is a great tradition, too bad you missed it this year. we have a live nativity walk put on by a couple of wards that is always a wonderful activity reminding us what Christmas is.
My husband's father died on Dec 8 three years ago. So there is a bit of a depression during the holidays in our home. But we really try to do things as a family, anything festive and/or spiritual that will draw us closer together. Thank you for writing this post! (and I'm sorry you didn't get to see The Forgotten Carols)
Beautiful post. And thanks for that quote. I love it!
Last night we went to Temple Square to see the lights. The kids loved it. They especially loved the statue of Jesus and all the nativities. Aubrey got emotional over Jesus and how much she loved him. I think we will definitely make it a yearly tradition!
Was it crazy there? Did you happen to see any full-sized Hopkins there? The youth of our ward went for their activity, so I take it there wasn't a Schmdit/Hopkins reunion.? To bad. But I was WAY excited to open the mail today. You wonder why???? I got my annual Schmidt card!!! Yeah!!!!!!
I love the Forgotten Carols. Beautiful. Thank you for reminding me. I tend to get caught up in the whirlwind. It's okay to let some of those things go.
We have the kids act out the nativity on Christmas Eve complete with costumes etc. and we read the story of His birth together.
We need to do more in all honesty. I'm looking forward to reading more comments to get some ideas for our family.
Wonderful quote...inspiring post. I'm so glad I stopped by!
Post a Comment