It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary . . .



Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Treasures of the Heart

Tonight is our Relief Society Home Family and Personal Enrichment Night. The theme for the evening will be Treasures of the Heart. The Enrichment Committee, about a month ago, asked if I would give a 5 minute talk on why my friends are the Treasures of my Heart. Over the last month as I have pondered this question, I have come to realize that Treasures are precious jewels collected and stored in a beautiful box for safe keeping. When the time is right, each jewel is brought out of its box and used. For many, the jewels will be used as a display of beauty and riches. But for others, these treasures are individual jewels sent to us from our Heavenly Father to help us achieve our greatest potential. More times than not, these jewels come with a gift. These jewels may come when we least expect. Each jewel is unique. These jewels come in all different shapes, sizes, roughness and clarity bringing to its arrangement a unique sparkle that only that particular jewel can bring. So it is with our friends, each individual that crosses our path in this life will bring with it a unique sparkle that only she can bring to the friendship.

What are some things that make your friends/sisters Treasures of your Hearts?
I want to share you with one of my favorites hymns "Each Life That Touches Ours for Good" sums it all up for me. I know this song is mostly sung at funerals, BUT. . .there will always be friends whose paths we cross but for a short time; whose influence leaves a lasting imprint upon our hearts. I think it is only fitting to give them the credit they deserve. They may not have departed from this life, but for some reason we no longer keep in touch with them.
Each Life That Touches Ours for Good
Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord.
Thou sendest blessings from above
Through words and deeds of those who love.
What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christ-like friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.
When such a friend from us departs
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.
For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior's name,
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise thy goodness Lord above.
Thank you to all who have crossed my path and helped to to become the Woman I am today.

8 comments:

Shopkins said...

I love reading all your posts, you are so inspiring! I hope are you enjoying the snow! :) we really need to come see you and your family one of these days! Well hope all is well!! thanks for your example! Merry Christmas!!

Vanessa said...

You are welcome. And thanks for being a treasure in my life! Great and uplifting post!

Jan said...

Enduring thoughts Kim. Thanks.

Becky said...

hope it goes well tonight! ours is tonight too! did you get your poster all done? hope I was a BIG BRIGHT name!! :)

Kim said...

Becky~didn't do the poster. Did not need. Thanks for your help!

BTW~if I would have done it, you would have definately been BIG, BRIGHT and BEAUTIFUL!!!

Cynthia said...

That's a beautiful sentiment. And you are so right about people being put in our paths, even if for a short time, to enrich us.

For me it was a girl I met on the Pioneer Trek when I was 14. I was in that 'akward phase' and she was a beautiful 18 year old cheerleader. And yet she took the time to get to know me in those few short days and built my self esteem. It literally changed the course of my life.

I have no idea where she is these days but I wish I did so I could thank her for taking an interest in a dorky little 14 year old girl.

Marc and Heather said...

You did a great job last night. Thanks for your good example to me...

tammy said...

Love this. I feel the same way. And I am thankful that our paths crossed in this cyber world.