
Today as I was taking Shane to school I realized that it had been quite awhile since I had taken him to school and was rather excited to spend 5 minutes alone with him. Then it dawned on me that today is Thursday and that made it even more exciting. Why would taking him to school on a Thursday be different than any other day? Let me explain.
Our family loves movies. Freaky Friday is one of them and when it came out in 2003 Gordon and I laughed our heads off especially at the part when Lindsay Lohan is being dropped off at school and as she is druelling over Jake (the boy she has a crush on) and Jamie Lee Curtis says to Lindsay Lohan "Make Good Choices" the expression from Lohan is priceless. Ever since the first time we watched that movie, Thursdays have become a tradition for us to remind our children as they are heading off to school to "Make Good Choices." More times than not we get the same reaction from our children as Jamie Lee Curtis did from Lindsay Lohan.
Thursdays are not the only times we remind our children to "Make Good Choices" and generally the others times are when they are heading out the door with their friends. We love to see the reaction scale as it hits maximum capacity for embarrassing moments, but Gordon and I enjoy the reactions and consider it pay back for all those tantrums in the store when they were little.
It is difficult to watch my children grow-up and seeing that I am slowly losing TOTAL control of their choices. The only thing that I can say to them is "Make Good Choices" and pray that Gordon and I have raised them right. I have also come to a realization that they are getting to old for me to control their every move, and that they need experiences to learn what life is all about. I am laughing as I think about what I just wrote because I still don't know what life is all about. Someday I hope to perfect my ability to know what life is about, but until then I will continue to remind all of my children, Gordon and myself to "Make Good Choices."

3 comments:
This is a good one to remember. Hang in there with all those teenagers!
amen sista! what more can we do than hope, pray, do our best, and pray some more--for those good choices!
I love that! lol
Post a Comment