It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary . . .



Friday, August 8, 2008

Beijing: 08-08-08

Opening Ceremonies
I don't think there is a time when our television is watched more, in the Hopkins household, than during the Olympics. I remember being about Shane's age (10) and before DVR watching the '76 Olympics. My favorite event at that time was gymnastics. Nadia Comaneci was the favored athlete and I faithfully watched her receive the first perfect score (10). I sat there in tears because Nadia Comaneci inspired us all. The emotions were so overwhelming because she did what no other gymnast had done, and now, years later her determination is still an inspiration to all. Although Nadia Comaneci still remains an icon in the gymnastics world it wasn't long before a new gymnast would win our hearts. Mary Lou Retten was one of those who was inspired to be as good, if not better, than Nadia Comaneci. Mary-Lou Retten achieved her drean in the '84 Olympics when she became the first American gymnast to receive a perfect (10) score on the vault and to win the Olympic ALL-around title. Since then I have never missed a gymnastic event during the Olympics.




These are my most moments in Olympic history. Don't be shy. Share your most memorable moment, we would love to hear about it!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sally said...

That was fun reading your comment on my blog! My life is not too thrilling, but if you ever want to check it out, go for it! Your life on the other hand----that looked like a fun vacation to Alaska! I agree about the Olympics! I love to watch them! It makes you feel so patriotic!