It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary . . .



Saturday, November 22, 2008

MOM, I'VE BEEN HAVING A THOUGHT. . .

. . .IS JESUS REAL?
Shane told me he was having thoughts that Jesus and Heavenly Father aren't real. I sat there in awe, not knowing how to answer such a question.
Have any of you been faced with this question? I would love to hear your thoughts on how to help an 11 year old know that
JESUS IS REAL!

6 comments:

Erin said...

The only thing I can think of is to remind him of times when he has felt warm inside, and explain that it is the Holy Ghost showing him that God and Heavenly Father's love for him is real.

I think it's great that your child will come to you will difficult questions like this. You must be a great mom! Good luck.

Becky said...

I think it can get so confusing with all the unreal things they grow up with (Santa, easter bunny, tooth fairy)- so it is great for him to express wanting to know, and of course your answer is your own testimony! You know, and you will surely be able to bear witness of it, and the Spirit will testify to him.
go forth and good luck ;)

tammy said...

I'm just gonna say ditto to the above.

Tracy said...

I haven't been asked that question before by my kids, but there have been times they've asked me things that I thought for sure they obviously knew. My first thought is always to ask them what's making them think about that or question that. Sometimes it's something other kids said at school or they just didn't understand a basic principle that they were learning about at church.

And I'd pray a lot before that discussion. :) Good luck!

Lorie said...

Tell him how YOU know that Jesus and Heavenly Father are real. And remind him that there is really only one way for him to know for sure.

Kim said...

Thank you everyone for your comments and support. It seems that when its not your own child, you know exactly what to say. But when it's your own child you become speechless.

I will do alot of praying so that I know how to approach this. These kids of ours sure have Satan working hard on them and anything I can do to help stregthen Shanes testimony, I will do.

Thanks again.