It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary . . .



Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My World of Wonder . . .

And see that all things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that man should run faster than he as strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize therefore, all must be done in order.
Mosiah 4:27


In August 2005, I had the opportunity to attend Youth Conference with our Stake. That year’s particular youth conference would entail going to Martin’s Cove, Rocky Ridge, and Rock Creek Hollow, which are significant in Church History, located central Wyoming. There were many months of preparation, not only for the committee, but for the participants as well. We had a number of firesides where the Stake President would give counsel to “prepare ourselves, especially our feet.” He counseled us to do this by finding one pair of shoes that we would use for the Trek and break them in by walking as often as we could. He also told us that during the TREK we would be walking in 3 days a total of about 36 or miles. The first day we would walk about 7 to 8 miles and the 2 remaining day would be approximately 15 miles. He encouraged us that if we start preparing and could walk 7-8 miles without incident, at home, would we would be okay to walk each day of Trek. So I spent many months preparing not only my feet, but my heart as well. By the time Trek came, I was walking 8 miles 4-5 times a week and I felt ready and excited for this adventure.


As you see in the scripture I emphasized some of the words that stuck out to me as I answered this question. Here is the question asked: What experiences have you had that explain this scripture? My response: When I attended Trek a few years ago, we were leaving the Martin's Cove Visitor Center and preparing to go to the Dan Jones Cove. I stayed back to take pictures, since I was one of the photographers for this Trek, I realized that most of the youth and many of the leaders were almost there. But in the distance about midpoint between the Youth and I, I saw that our Stake President and his wife were at a point that I could still catch up to them and not miss the "next big thing". With determination and a desire not to “miss” anything of a spiritual nature, and feeling that I was in good enought shape I walked as fast as I could. As I started catching up to the Stake President and his wife the thought kept going through mind "If I keep walking fast I won't “miss out on anything of a spiritual significance." Boy, was I wrong!

I passed the Stake President and his wife. As I was getting closer to the Dan Jones cove I noticed that I was about mid-point of the youth and the Stake President. I was almost there. Then I had an experience, that until the very moment I was anwering the question, I could not understand. The Lord was to teaching me a valuable lesson, and I wasn't listening!

While I was walking very fast, and to stubborn to recognize what was happening, I felt an actual force holding me back. Yes, some of you might think it was the wind, and it was some what windy, but not enough to make walking the trail this difficult, that is when I just started to cry. I could not understand what was happening. I knew it was the spirit teaching me, but what was I going to learn in the the middle of Wyoming with all of this sage brush?


My--ah-hah moment--I was in such a hurry to get to the “next big thing” (Dan Jones Cove) that I was not enjoying the journey along the way. The spirit was telling me that I didn’t need to hurry to the “next big” thing in order to have a spiritual moment. If I would just slow down, I would be able to enjoy the Spirit throughout Trek. I think at times we are so busy that we are only focused on the “next big thing,” instead of being diligent, we forget that many times the journey leading to the “next big thing” is often times what prepares us for the “next big thing.”
Since that time I have had similar experiences, but it wasn’t until I was ready to LISTEN, that I understood. If any of you would like to share: What experiences have you had that explain this scripture? I would love to hear thoughts from you.

6 comments:

Cynthia said...

So true. What a beautiful post. I did the Trek as a 14 year old and it changed the course of my life. I learned on the Trek to take time alone in nature to really seek and think about a problem or goal. I've used the techniques I learned on the 'solo' whenever I have a big decision to ponder.

Erin said...

Although I haven't had any experiences specific to this scripture, I enjoyed reading yours!

Becky said...

what good insight you have. It just reminded me of Pres Monson---"enjoy the ride"
and that our lives are made up of (or should be) daily spiritual experiences and that is what keeps our testimonies strong and growing. thanks

chelle said...

This is a great post. I sometimes look for the next big thing also. I will slow it down today. Thanks, m

Diane said...

I have had that experience parenting and being a mother. I receive that same thought multiple times to SLOW DOWN and ENJOY the journey with my kids. They will only be here for so long and I will miss this time if I am only looking forward to when they reach major milestones along the way...

Lara Neves said...

Hi! I was just clicking around on blog links and came across yours.

1. Weird experience: Right as your blog came up I heard Jay Leno say "Sexiest Man Alive" in the other room. Was your husband on the show tonight? :) It was just weird to hear that right as I was reading it.

2. I loved this post. In college one semester I was taking 22 credits and working full time and trying to have a social life and stuff. I was dying. I received a blessing from my dad when I got so sick that I couldn't get out of bed for a week, and he referenced that scripture. I'm still not very good at not running faster than I have the strength, but every once in a while I am reminded.

Like right now, by you. So thank you! :)