It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary . . .



Sunday, November 30, 2008

My World of Wonder . . .

I dream of being a Moses,
An Esther,
A Nephi—
And despair that I don’t have that
Greatness in me.
But then I remember—
God doesn’t require greatness,
He requires faith;
And some of us must have the
Faith to Follow
~Lisa South~

A couple of years ago when I was struggling with balancing nursing school, the demands of being a mom, and everyday life; I was talking with my sister, who read this poem to me. I had the poem made up in vinyl lettering and put it on my living room wall so that when I am feeling down and asking myself “why is this so difficult when I know it is what the Lord wants me to do?” I usually go to my living room and think of Moses, Esther and Nephi and I realize that their trials were just as hard as mine. I think mostly of Nephi (because I know the most about him) and all he endured, “could I have done what he did?” Probably not, because the key to this poem is “having the faith to follow” and believing all things will work out for our (mine) good. Often times I fall short, but in the Lords infinite wisdom He reminds me every day that faith is the key to unlocking all the mysteries and questions that we have for Him.

This past week my brother and his family were in town for Thanksgiving and since we Gordon and I were both working, my brother’s family came out to our place. His wife was reading the poem to their 8 year old daughter who then asked her mother what “faith” meant. The answer was quickly brushed to the side (because my brother and his wife have fallen away from the gospel and everything they believe), my heart ripped in half because this little girls question was not being answered because my sister-in-law has chosen not to believe and lost faith in our Heavenly Father and His plan.

I was able to steal my niece away for a couple of minutes and share with her what faith is. I do not believe she understood a word of what I was telling her, but I did share with her my testimony. I guess we are a lot like my niece when Heavenly Father is teaching us. There are times we do not understand the “why” but he is always there sharing his testimony and wanting us to have the “faith to follow” as we go through our trials. As I am preparing to leave today for Cedar City, I am reminded that Heavenly Father wants me to succeed. I am going to Cedar City to take the Hurst Review, it is a review that is designed to assist me with passing my RN boards. I know Heavenly Father wants me to finish my goal and become a RN. I am starting to understand a little more why I haven’t passed my state board exam yet but there are still days I ask myself “why is this so difficult when I know it is what the Lord wants me to do?” I may not fully understand what Heavenly Father is trying to teach me through my trials, but this I do know; Heavenly Father knows me, He loves me, He wants what is best for me; but most of all He wants me to have the
“Faith to Follow”

5 comments:

Erin said...

I live in Cedar City! I hope for the best for you. Good luck with your test!

The faith thing is hard too, when you see someone who doesn't believe. It's hard!

Becky said...

very inspiring Kimmy! I am glad you took her aside and gave her a glimpse. maybe someday she will remember and decide to see for herself what it is all about. good luck with that test! YOU CAN DO IT!

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

You can do it!! I wish you the best.

tammy said...

Love this. Faith to Follow...such a simple thing, but for some it can be so hard.