
It has almost been 4 years since walking, with the youth of our stake, along the dusty trails of the Willie and Martin Handcart Companies. At the time Brendon was the only one of my children old enough to go, I thought it would be an awesome experience to watch him go through. But little did I realize that it would not only change his life, but my life as well. Reading my journal entry and pondering the experiences I experienced during those 4 days in August 2005, are the experiences that are helping me through the trials I am faced with at this moment in time.
Every night before we retired to bed we would have a mini-fireside prepared by the missionaries of the area. This particular evening we were privileged to hear from one of the Sister missionaries. This sister shared with us 4 essential items that the pioneers took with them in their handcarts. These items were of great value, and the pioneers could carry as much of these essential items as they wanted. Now let me remind you, the weight limit for each family and handcart per/person was 17lbs. Even after the journey began, some things had to be unloaded along the way if people were to reach their destination.
Could you do what the pioneers did? Could you leave your most valuable possessions in order to make it across the plains for something of greater worth? We were asked to ponder these questions and then consider what the sister missionary was referring to as she reminded us that we still had 4 essential items that needed to be included on our handcarts.
- Faith
- Obedience
- Prayer
- Testimony
Today our tests are different. We are not called to load our wagons and head west. We have not been asked to cross the rivers or the steep and rocky slope of Rocky Ridge in the bitter cold of winter. Our frontier and wilderness are of a different nature, and at some point we will need to be carried by our Savior Jesus Christ, but we too must decide what we will make room for in our wagons and what items are most essential.
What will you make room for in your wagon?

3 comments:
Very thought provoking. My oldest gets to go on this adventure this year...
I was teaching the 11 years olds today about the translating of the Golden Plates. How it took all of those 4 things you mentioned. I think that I am constantly removing and adding to my wagon. I overload and then simplify in cycles.
Thanks for the share and so glad you got to experience that walk. Wow.
I loved this post! I went on trek at 14 and it literally changed the course of my life. I still have the letter I wrote to myself on the 'Solo'. It's yellowed and old (dated sometime in the mid 80's) but it's still there in the false-bottomed jewerly box where I stashed it as a teen. It's amazing to see how many of the goals I'd written down for myself have come to fruition.
Post a Comment