Work started out like any other day. Patients getting ready to admitted and discharged, meds to be given, assessments to be done. As I was discharging an elderly lady I asked "do you have someone that will be coming to pick you up and take you home?" Her reply "Yes, my grandson." Nothing big. Grandkids are always coming to help their grandparents out, but usually they are older adult grandchildren.
When this patients grandson arrived my heart filled with gladness. This young man was 18 years old. Still not a big deal. He did as I instructed went and got his car, pulled it to the front of the hospital and he waited for us. Once he saw us, he got of the car opened the door and assisted his grandma to car.
Tears slowly started down my cheeks as I watched this interaction. It isn't very often I see a young 18 year old put his arm around his grandma to assist her. My life has truly been blessed today because a mother taught her son how to respect and love his grandma.

1 comment:
That is so sweet! I hope I'm raising that kind of boy.
My daughter tells me that she voluntarily plays with one of the very special needs kids at school during recess. She said she gets made fun of for it but that she LIKES this girl and plays with her just because she likes her- and because she wants to help her join the fun since she is nearly blind. I wish I could take credit for her awesomeness but it totally comes from inside- I was truly blessed with a wonderful daughter.
Post a Comment