It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary . . .



Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day 90 ~ GCBC Gratitude = Simply Learning

by Elder David McConkie
What stands out to you as you study this talk? Is there anything you learned here that you had not considered before? What did the talk make you feel or want to do?

Please share your thoughts in the comments below. If this is your first time to General Conference Book Club, click here to learn more about it, and then join us.
~Stephanie at Diapers and Divinity~
I will never forget when I was called to be a Relief Society Instructor. The year, 1997. I was young, inexperienced, but most of all insecure with my abilities as a teacher. I would spend hours and hours writing word for word my entire lesson. I would stand in front of the class to give a lesson that had been thought out through much prayer. For many years I had watched my mom for prepare lessons that same way, so I guess in a way, I was teaching others the way I had been taught. At one point I would even call my SIL and ask her "how" she would teach a particular lesson and felt that what and "how" my SIL was teaching me is what the Lord wanted the class to hear. But one thing was missing, the spirit bearing witness to the truth of what was being taught.

Time went on, I was released but a few years later, our ward was reorganized and in need of others to step up and assist with teaching. I volunteered to teach Relief Society. I was excited for the opportunity to teach the sisters once again. This time I approached teaching differently. I still had things outlined (word for word), I used others to bear their testimonies and share their talents through music. All of these things combined brought the spirit into the room to testify of truth. It was the first time in my life I had such an experience and this experience gave me a greater desire to learn the ". . .'how' of teaching. . . [through the] how' of learning" with the assistance of spirit.

When Elder McConkie asked us to "Think for a moment of a teacher who really made a difference in your life. What was it about him or her that caused you to remember what was taught, to want to discover the truth for yourself, to exercise your agency and act and not just to be acted upon—in other words, to learn? What was it about this teacher that set him or her apart from the rest?" I will never forget Brother Anderson. I was so excited when he was called to be our Gospel Doctrine teacher. The reason? "Successful gospel teachers love the gospel. They are excited about it. And because they love their students, they want them to feel as they feel and to experience what they have experienced. To teach the gospel is to share your love of the gospel." Brother Anderson loved the gospel and it showed in the way he taught. Because of his enthusiasm and love for teaching, the gospel, I had a desire to feel and share of that same spirit. Every time I listened to Brother Anderson's lessons I was being fed a little bit of heaven. Little by little I started progressing with my own style of teaching. I started reading to better understand and know the scriptures. I observed others technique and style so that I may learn what works and doesn't work.

About 2 years ago I was once again called to be a Relief Society Instructor. I was excited for the new challenge. I could tell this time would be different. This time when I was called to this calling I was no longer writing my lessons out word for word, I had matured through life experiences, my knowledge of the scriptures and gospel principles had increased, but most of all a desire to share the love I have for gospel through the spirit in which testifies truth.

Then about a year ago things changed. I was teaching the from the conference issue for the 4th sunday lesson when I was asked "what is the doctrine you will be teaching?" As we discussed the difference between "doctrine and principle" I was confused. I went to my daughter, Kelsey and asked her if she knew the difference, she stated "we learn that everyday in Brother Wardall's class." She taught me some of the most valuable informations and I began a journey. I still had more questions so I went to Brother Wardall. He directed me to a talk given by Elder Bednar titled Teach Them To Understand this talk was the answer I had been looking for. As I studied this talk, I learned how to seek and better know concerning the spirit in which we teach.

Listening to Elder McConkies talk reminded me of this experience. When I heard this "What matters most is the attitude or spirit by which the teacher teaches." I was glued to the television and his words, wanting to absorb as much information as I possibly could. I love the instructions that Elder McConkie gave to us as an aid in our ability to have the spirit teach. "First, immerse yourself in the scriptures. Second, apply in your life the things that you learn. Third, seek heaven’s help. Fourth, brothers and sisters, it is of utmost importance that we exercise our agency and act, without delay, in accordance with the spiritual promptings we receive."

Over the years I have grown, learned and developed a confidence that has assisted me in my desire to become a better and more qualified teacher so others "could have warmed [their] hands by the fire of [my] faith.’” I will be forever grateful to Brother's Anderson and Wardall's example on allowing the spirit to do the teaching. I know from these experiences and testify that as we apply and use these simple guidelines and principles we will see miracles happen.

No comments: