I had to chuckle on my home from the Bountiful Temple today. I was driving west along I-80 when the sign said "gusty winds 50 mph until 5 pm." Just at that moment a gust hit the front of my car and I immediately increased my speed thinking it would get me through the wind and home faster. Just as I increased my speed I heard President Uchdorft voice in my head say "What do you do when you encounter turbulence?" Apparently, I do what inexperienced pilots do and that is increase my speed. I should follow his advice and " . . . it is good advice to slow down a little, steady the course, and focus on the essentials when experiencing adverse conditions."
Over the past week or so I have been feeling some turbulence relating to missing Brendon. It has been a rough couple of weeks and I have been compensating that with keeping myself busy. As I have been studying this talk, I have been reminded that there is a need ". . . to slow down a little, proceed at the optimum speed for our circumstances," just as there was a need for me to slow the car down with the gusts of wind, "focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most. Let us be mindful of the foundational precepts our Heavenly Father has given to His children that will establish the basis of a rich and fruitful mortal life with promises of eternal happiness. They will teach us to do 'all these things . . . in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that [we] should run faster than [we have] strength. [But] it is expedient that [we] should be diligent, [and] thereby . . . win the prize.'”
As I slowed down, spent quality time in the temple, and was "diligently doing the things that matter most" I won the prize and was "lead to the Savior." Although what I am feeling is a natural emotion and I know Brendon is okay but it's still hard. I know he is where he needs to be, but darnit all I miss him! I miss his hugs, laugh, smile and most of all I want to hear his voice and I don't want to have to wait 6 more weeks to hear his voice, I want to hear it now! But thats one thing that isn't going to happen right now. I know I do have to wait and the Lord will take care of the rest.
I am so grateful for this reminder because we all face turbulence to one degree or another and the reminders that are going to help me overcome this sadness will be to slow the course, focus on the Savior and be diligent with the things that matter most. Then I will win the prize which will be seeing my son Return With Honor.
Over the past week or so I have been feeling some turbulence relating to missing Brendon. It has been a rough couple of weeks and I have been compensating that with keeping myself busy. As I have been studying this talk, I have been reminded that there is a need ". . . to slow down a little, proceed at the optimum speed for our circumstances," just as there was a need for me to slow the car down with the gusts of wind, "focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most. Let us be mindful of the foundational precepts our Heavenly Father has given to His children that will establish the basis of a rich and fruitful mortal life with promises of eternal happiness. They will teach us to do 'all these things . . . in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that [we] should run faster than [we have] strength. [But] it is expedient that [we] should be diligent, [and] thereby . . . win the prize.'”
As I slowed down, spent quality time in the temple, and was "diligently doing the things that matter most" I won the prize and was "lead to the Savior." Although what I am feeling is a natural emotion and I know Brendon is okay but it's still hard. I know he is where he needs to be, but darnit all I miss him! I miss his hugs, laugh, smile and most of all I want to hear his voice and I don't want to have to wait 6 more weeks to hear his voice, I want to hear it now! But thats one thing that isn't going to happen right now. I know I do have to wait and the Lord will take care of the rest.
I am so grateful for this reminder because we all face turbulence to one degree or another and the reminders that are going to help me overcome this sadness will be to slow the course, focus on the Savior and be diligent with the things that matter most. Then I will win the prize which will be seeing my son Return With Honor.


1 comment:
Thinking of you!
Great talk, thanks for sharing.
Hope you are doing well. You wouldn't want Brendon anywhere else than where he is.
Post a Comment