It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary . . .



Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 69 ~ I AM A WOMAN OF FAITH

I AM A WOMAN OF FAITH!
"Sometimes we feel that we are weak and lack the strength . . ." (Elder Aoyagi) to carry on. How do we keep going when difficulties and trials continue to weigh us down? How do we "Come Unto Christ" and "Endure to the End" when the end isn't even in sight?

I feel compelled to share with you an experience I had yesterday while teaching Relief Society. The assigned talk "Helping Hands, Saving Hands" by Elder Aoyagi was a lesson I was having some difficulty in preparing. When I woke up, I started my final preparations for the lesson. I asked Heavenly Father to guide my unorganized mess of thoughts into thoughts that would be coherent and understandable so that the Holy Ghost could teach and testify to those in attendance.

As I went to church, feeling a little uneasy, I said another little prayer in heart pleading with the Lord that what came out of my mouth would allow the spirit to teach and that it would be directed in a way that every sister would be lifted and edified. We began our lesson and as the minutes went on, more hands went up comments made and then one sister stated, "you asked the question 'how do we continue to serve others, go church, read our scriptures, and do the things the Lord has asked of us when we don't want to." Her answered was simple yet profound because "I AM A WOMAN OF FAITH.' It's not easy. Being a member of the church is difficult and more times than not it may be just as easy to stay home. But I continue to come because I AM A WOMAN OF FAITH." Can I just say blow me over, pick me up and wipe myself off?!?!?! This sister nailed it! That statement is what I am now going to live by, especially when I am feeling like I can't go on.

In all honesty, I wanted to clap. I wanted shout hurray! I have been struggling with the "essential things." The things that keep me connected to my Heavenly Father and my elder brother Jesus Christ. The things that truly help to keep me going. Being the slacker that I have been, using the excuses that are so common such as work, kids, going here, going there I realize that isn't going to fly when I am asked "why aren't you doing that . . ." to someone who is watching and wanting to know my stand within the church. As I write my son every week I see his growth. I know he doing okay. There was time he wasn't and I found myself on my knees all the time. Now, it isn't so rocky, I want or need a rest from my labors. I need rescuing! These sisters rescued me. They have no idea how much I need their comments, their faith to help lift me and guide me to a remembrance of what I know I need to do.

As I watched the above video I experienced Emma Smiths trials much differently. I have never before looked at the trials or difficulties that both the Prophet and Emma went through together as a difficulty for her. Yeah, I might thought "poor Emma," but as I watched Emma, this "Woman of Faith" endure the same trials as the Prophet I have come to realize that she had great faith. How did she endure the hours, days and months of trials and still have the strength to move on, to go forward? She endured them because she had faith in Christ and she did all the "essential" things and knew that she could endure.

I want to be able to stand and state "I AM A WOMAN OF FAITH." I am a woman that will do what it takes to bring others "unto Christ." I want to be the woman that will "endure to the end" and when it is all said and done I will be known as

"A WOMAN OF FAITH"

3 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Beautiful! Yes, that sister did nail it.
Food for thought.
I need to make some adjustments.

Cynthia said...

She was an amazing woman. I can pretty much guarantee I'd have been long gone well before any enduring was required. Clearly why I wasn't called to that role! It is enough for me to endure the smaller trials I face but she is certainly an inspirational character.

Stephanie said...

Awesome. :)