It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary . . .



Saturday, July 10, 2010

My World of Wonder/Day 5

For the Beauty of the Earth

I am so lucky to leave on such a beautiful earth. Through an assignment given by the stake the Johnsons (Jerel , Jill, Kassie and Quinton), Shane, Gordon and I had the opportunity to assist the youth of our stake during youth conference by providing lunch. We arrived at the Vernon Beef Ranch around 12:30 and started setting up so that they could eat lunch at 1:00pm. While we were setting up I had the opportunity to look around at a place I had never been before. It was no different than any other beef farm, but what intrigued me was the fact that God had created such a beautiful world. While the youth and their leaders were eating lunch, a rainbow appeared out of nowhere. “Where did that come from?” As I looked around at the sky with big white fluffy clouds and large trees to shade us, the thought crossed my mind “God does love us and wanted all of us to know he was pleased with us.”

Once we were finished cleaning up we, The Johnsons, and Hopkins families drove to Vernon Reservoir to do some fishing. Now, for those of you who know me, I mean, really know me, know that fishing and the out of doors is not at the top of my list for fun thing to do. But today I am glad that I went. As I sat on the banks of the reservoir, it was peaceful and warm but then a breeze came through and cooled us down. The blue sky and big white fluffy clouds were still there, but most of all, I was able to see such beauty in the dirt and sage brush surrounding the reservoir. My understanding of Gods love for us increased as I sat and observed how the wind would make ripples in the water and how the annoying ants would work together as team for their food. I now have a clearer understanding of why God wants us to experience earthly life. I will forever be grateful to Adam and Eve for partaking of the fruit and allowing us to have “cursed ground”. . . “thorns and thistle” . . . and allowing us to “sweat of thy face” . . . and “till the ground” because if it wasn’t for them, we wouldn’t have the privilege of living on such a beautiful earth and experiencing the joys of friendship and the trials of life.
For the Beauty of the Earth
For the beauty of the earth,
For the beauty of the skies,
For the love which from our birth
Over and around us lies;
Lord of all, to thee we raise
This our hymn of grateful praise.
For the beauty of each hour,
Of the day and of the night,
Hill and vale, and tree and flow'r,
Sun and moon, and stars of light,
Lord of all, to thee we raise
This our hymn of grateful praise.
For the joy of human love,
Brother, sister, parent, child.
Friends on earth, and friends above,
For all gentle thought and mild,
Lord of all, to the we raise
This our hymn of grateful praise.

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

Were you there yesterday? We were at Vernon Res. around 7pm. Elton drew and archery tag in Vernon and yesterday was our first day "scouting". We roasted some marshmallows right by the reservoir. The kids had fun.

Kim said...

Yes we were. We left from our spot around 7pm. Should talk to you more often. We got there around 3pm, caught a small trout then left. Good times.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Beautiful thoughts Kim. You constantly amaze me at your spiritual thoughts and feelings. I love the way you express yourself.
Love you!

Karen Mello Burton said...

Ahhhhh. OK.. Mystery solved. I love hanging out with the youth. Their energy and their courage.