While on my way home from work, I was having a conversation with a dear friend whose son will be coming home from his mission in 6 days. Joy and excitement (which hadn't been there in a long time) penetrated the phone, but I could still tell she wasn't truly happy. As long as I've known her, 4years, she has struggled with her husband (who she is now separated from) , job and just life in general. As our conversation continued and she shared with me counsel given to her, by her bishop, I could tell she was trying to change. The counsel given to her was "study the Atonement." Now I can just imagine what must have gone through her mind as he told her that, she's pretty stubborn, but if I know her she probably thought "I live the Atonement." As we continued our conversation she then shared with me what her son challenged her to do the very next letter. "Mom, I challenge you to study the Atonement daily." Ding-ding-ding, the light went on! If her son challenged her it must be something the Lord wants her to do. Let me share with you why this significant and is one of my tender mercies. For years I have included her in my prayers and asked Heavenly Father to help her be happy. Even at one time I challenged her to read "The Peace Giver" in hopes that she would find answers. Nope! She wasn't willing to listen with her eyes or hear with her heart. Now she is and that brings me joy! I am happy to hear a change in her voice, and as she learns more about the Atonement the Lord will continue to soften her heart as he continues to teaching her. I am grateful for the Atonement. I know that thorugh the Atonement I have learned to Love the Lord and "all" that He Loves and as I continue my heart will also change. Do you want to know the best part? If this is any indication of how the Lord must feel when the "light goes on" it was well worth the wait to hear the joy in her voice.
On Being a Mother
13 years ago

2 comments:
What a wonderfully good friend you are to her.
I'm excited for her to have her son come home.
I love that you shared this. Sometimes all we can do is pray for another.
Post a Comment