President Dieter F. Uchtdorf retells the story of the ugly duckling and urges us to reflect on who we really are—sons and daughters of a glorious Heavenly Father.
Have there been days when you have felt like the ugly duckling? I know I have. This is one of the reasons I have started my journey of looking for the "tender mercies" of the Lord.
Years ago, I felt abandoned by my dad. My parents divorced, he remarried and I felt as though I was no longer important to him, plus I certainly didn't "fit in" especially with his new family. Over the years I have noticed how I have allowed the feelings of not "fitting in" to arise in other aspects of my life. I have allowed myself not to become "to close" to acquaintances or friends because I didn't want to get hurt or feel like I didn't "fit in."
As I watched the story of the ugly duckling, I could relate to how this little duck must have felt. I hid myself, separated myself and just plain ignored others because I didn't feel I was worth their time or energy. But who was the one that was hurting the most? Was it those acquaintances or friends? No, the one hurting the most was and still is me.
Over the last number of months, as I have realized this, I have seen my own worth and true identity. Sure I have bad days. Days that are filled with self doubt and heartache, but the one thing that I am working to overcome is my feelings of inadequacy around my father and family. I am working on coming back to the flock, just as the ugly duckling took flight and followed the swans and taking the time to look in the lake he noticed he was magnificent swan. "He discovered who he really was." While I am on this journey, "looking in the water," seeing my true worth and beauty I am discovering who I really am.
With this knowledge it "changes my present, my future and my world."

1 comment:
Great post. I'm sure most of us have felt that way at one time or another. I love the story of the swan and Pres. Uchtdorf.
Post a Comment