It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary . . .



Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My World of Wonder/Day 2


For a while now, I have been looking else where for employment. Not that I don't love my job, but I feel there is something else or should I say less stressful on a 43 y/o body than the work I am doing now. But that all changed (even if it is only for a moment) today when I had one of those "tender" moments that reminds me why I love being a nurse.


As I was preparing this patient (as I do any other patient) to be discharged from the hospital, she looked at me with her big smile, lighted eyes and outstretched arms and said "thank you." After our long embrace, with tears in her eyes she preceeded to tell me things that make the long 12 hour shifts, sore knees, barely able to walk when I get home and many other physical ailments worth it!


The one thing I do know is that through these experiences I am learning to become more like Christ and if this feelings I am feeling now are an indication of what it will be like when I do come face to face with Him, then I will take what comes from them everyday as I serve those who can not physically or emotionally handle what is happening in there own lives to become more like Christ. I will forever be grateful to this woman for the lessons taught and learned from one stranger to another.

3 comments:

Shopkins said...

KIM! Thanks so much for writing these posts! I have really enjoyed reading them. I'm the worst at blogging, and i need to get better at it. Thanks for sharing how important the simple things are in life! miss you!!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Beautiful post!!! I've been offline for a few days and have missed all your good stuff. I'm off to read your previous posts now.

Love you.

Thanks for reminding me why I love being a nurse.

tammy said...

A good caring nurse really is a blessing. I still remember both nurses I had with my babies. They really were awesome and I knew they really cared. The one's shift ended before I delivered, but she came in the next day just to see how I was doing and how Taylor was doing since he was a preemie and I'd had complications.