There are clusters of memories embedded in each of your lives. And these can help us to “remember how merciful the Lord hath been.” ~Elder Neal A. Maxwell
The year, the mid-1970's, a young 6-8 y/o girl is standing next to her dad while he was driving down the road in their BIG full sized white van singing "Give," Said the Little Stream.
This memory is one of the very few "happy" memories I have with my dad. My parents divorced when I was 4 y/o and to this day the majority of my young childhood memories have been blocked. But every now and again, this particular memory will surface. When it does, it usually takes me by suprise and I ask myself, "did this memory really happen?" In my own mind and heart it did, but why can't or better yet why won't I allow myself to remember any of the other "happy" memories?
So today, with this thought weighing heavily on my mind, I pulled out the LDS Children's song book and read the lyrics.
“Give, oh! give, give, oh! give.”
“Give,” said the little stream,
As it hurried down the hill;
“I’m small, I know, but wherever I go
The fields grow greener still.”
Refrain.
Singing, singing all the day,
“Give away, oh! give away.”
Singing, singing all the day,
“Give, oh! give away.”
2. “Give,” said the little rain,
“Give, oh! give, give, oh! give.”
“Give,” said the little rain,
As it fell upon the flow’rs;
“I’ll raise their drooping heads again,”
As it fell upon the flow’rs.
Refrain.
Singing, singing all the day,
“Give away, oh! give away.”
Singing, singing all the day,
“Give, oh! give away.”
3. Give, then, as Jesus gives,
Give, oh! give, give, oh! give.
Give, then, as Jesus gives;
There is something all can give.
Do as the streams and blossoms do:
For God and others live.
Refrain.
Singing, singing all the day,
“Give away, oh! give away.”
Singing, singing all the day,
“Give, oh! give away."
"Your earthly father wants you to remember how much he loves you. Teaching you that song was the only way he knew how to express his love to you."

4 comments:
Oh, how sad that your parents split up when you were so young. But it is a great thing to hold onto a happy memory or two. And this is such a great song for all of us.
I remember singing that song too. I am glad you have that happy memory but wish you had others. My Dad remembers very little of his childhood but there are dark reasons for that. I am so grateful that, despite the challenges of his childhood, he raised us up happy with many wonderful memories. YOU have given the same legacy to YOUR kids. You should be so proud of yourself! I wish you had more of those memories to hold on to but at least there is that song (and it's the kind you can't quit singing in your head too!)
Love this perspective you have!
I have always enjoyed this song for many reasons.
Glad you have become a wonderful wife & mother & have chosen to be happy!
i LOVE this primary song, matter of fact has always been my fave!
what a special memory. (:
portland's only 3 hours from here.
matter of fact, that's where my daughter's bio-dad lives. fun place.
Post a Comment