It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary . . .



Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day 44~Am I willing to give Him Everything?

Paraphrasing C.S. Lewis the Lord says to us: "Give me all. I don't want so much of your time, so much of your talents and money, and so much of your work: I want you. All of you. I have not come to torment or frustrate the natural man, but to kill it. No half-measures will do. I don't want to only prune a branch here and
another there; rather, I want the whole tree out. Hand it all over to me, the whole outfit, all of your desires, all of your wants and wishes and dreams. Turn them all over to me, give yourself to me and I will make of you a new self in my image. Give me yourself and in exchange I will give you myself. My will, shall become your will. My heart shall become your heart."

(Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis, p. 167)

Today as I listened to another 19 y/o speak on obedience and sacrifice before going out into the world to serve the Lord. I had the impression that this young man was not only giving the Lord his time, but "all of himself."

"[As] He boxes up all of those plans, wishes, wants and desires [for 2 years] and puts them on a shelf in his closet at home with all of his clothes and other things. When he returns he will unpack all of the boxes. He will find that some of the clothes he doesn't want anymore, and he will give them away. When he unpacks the box of his wants, wishes, dreams and desires he may find that there are also some of those he doesn't want anymore either."

Hearing this quote my thoughts drifted to the things I have boxed away my wants, wishes, and dreams and wonder . . . . am I willing to give everything to Lord? Am I willing to give Him everything . . . . even my heart?

Quotes from: The Fourth Missionary

by: Lawrence E. Corbridge

June 22, 2002

Objective: Show missionaries who they can become and why

2 comments:

Karen Mello Burton said...

Having sent out 2 missionaries, it seems like the success only comes after all they have is given away. I totally believe that.

Another CS Lewis quote I love is one where he says something like, "I am a field needed to be plowed over and over again."

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Beautiful thoughts.
I agree with Kazzy. It comes after it's completely handed to the Lord.